This program is designed to train you on more technical skills allowing you in diving further and longer. With this you can dive deeper or extend your bottom time, allowing you to explore deeper reefs, wrecks, and caves! Academically, these courses will take your knowledge and understanding of diving principles and procedures to the next level. Then, go beyond what you already know and master new skills and pieces of equipment.
Extended Range Nitrox Diving
This program qualifies you to dive to 40 meters using nitrox and 15 minutes of accelerated decompression using a one stage decompression gas. The program can be completed wearing your standard total diving system, a large cylinder with H or Y valve or even a full twinset.
This program qualifies you to dive to 45 meters using nitrox and 20 minutes of accelerated decompression using a one stage decompression gas (up to oxygen). The program can only be completed wearing an Extended Range total diving system (Twinset or Sidemount). In addition to using nitrox, you will be qualified to use limited trimix with a minimum oxygen content of 21%. Extended Range with Trimix is specifically designed to reduce the risk of nitrogen narcosis for deeper diving.
There are two additional courses currently in development. This includes the Extended Range Foundations and Extended Range Wreck Diving. We’ll be offering these once SSI releases them.
- Three classroom sessions with final exam on last day
- Two pool sessions
- 6 Open Water Dives:
a. Three observations
b. One presentation where you lead the perfect dive
Certification: To complete the program
- Complete all academic sessions and assessments as outlined in the instructor manual for Extended Range.
- Complete an Extended Range final exam with a passing score of at least 80%.
- If qualifying trimix, complete an Extended Range Trimix final exam with a passing score of at least 80%.
- Independently plan a full dive plan using the Extended Range Dive Planning sheets.
- Complete the XR Water Fitness Evaluation as outlined in the SSI Training Standards.
- Complete at least one (1) pool/confined water skill development session with a minimum cumulative time of at least two (2) hours as outlined in the instructor manual for Extended Range.
- Complete at least six (6) open water training dives as outlined in the instructor manual for Extended Range.