We will be holding an information session on our Dive Guide course that will run through the winter of 2019.
We will review the course outline, review requirements, go over responsibilities, and jump in the pool for a swim and scuba assessment!
Date: September 28th, 2019
Time: 4 pm – 8 pm
Where: Gypsy Divers upstairs classroom
What to bring to the information session?
- Swim Suit
- Completed Medical History Form
- Certification Card
- Total Dive System (gypsy will supply tanks and weights)
Sign up for the session!
Interested in attending our Information Session? Sign up below! This is not a commitment, just to keep you informed!
The Dive Guide course
The course will take place this winter through the beginning of 2020. It consists of 4 classroom sessions, 3 pool sessions, 3 observations activities, 1 presentation, and 1 final exam.
- 50 dives for 35 hours
- Pass the Dive Guide final exam with a 90%
- Pass water skills evaluation
- Tread water for 15 minutes without using any aids or floatation of any kind
- Swim 800 yards with mask, fins and snorkel within 20 minutes
- Swim underwater 25 yards using a mask, fins and snorkel
- Perform unconscious diver on the surface rescue for 100 yards within 8 minutes
- Swim 400 yards within 12 minutes (Gypsy standard)
What can Dive Guides do?
Dive Guides are taught to lead already certified divers on underwater tours. This is the first step towards becoming an SSI dive professional! With the Dive Guide certification and Science of Diving course, you’ll get the Dive Master rating and be well on your way to an Assistant Instructor certification!
What prerequisites do I need?
To become a Dive Guide, you need to be at least 15 years old and 18 years old to become an “active” Dive Guide, and have:
- A Total Diving System that meets Gypsy Diver’s standards
- 40 logged dives for at least 25 hours
- Master Diver rating
- Navigation (or proof of at least 5 logged experience dives)
- Night & Limited Visibility (or proof of at least 5 logged experience dives)
- Deep Diving (or proof of at least 5 logged experience dives)
- Boat Diving (could be completed in parallel with the program)
- Enriched Air Nitrox (could be completed in parallel with the program)
- Equipment Techniques (could be completed in parallel with the program)
- Current Medical History Form, signed off in the past 12 months
- First Aid
- Oxygen First Aid