The Dive Guide course is not only a great way to start your professional diving career, but become a better diver! After you complete this course you will be ready to lead dives, start training to become an instructor, and have much more experience under your belt to solidify your mastery of diving.
October 2nd, 2022 at 4:30 PM
Interest Session Sign-Up
Our interest session is a great time to sit down with the course instructor, Arturo, and go over your goals and expectations for a professional diving course. We can decide if this is a good fit for you and get you started on your path towards becoming a dive professional!
Sign me up!
The Dive Guide course
The course will take place this spring. It consists of 4 classroom sessions, 3 pool sessions, 3 observations activities, 1 presentation, and 1 final exam.
- 50 dives for 35 hours
- Pass the Dive Guide final exam with a 90%
- Pass water skills evaluation
- Tread water for 15 minutes without using any aids or floatation of any kind
- Swim 800 yards with mask, fins, and snorkel within 20 minutes
- Swim underwater 25 yards using a mask, fins, and snorkel
- Perform unconscious diver on the surface rescue for 100 yards within 8 minutes
- Swim 400 yards within 12 minutes (Gypsy standard)
What can Dive Guides do?
Dive Guides are taught to lead already certified divers on underwater tours. This is the first step towards becoming an SSI dive professional! With the Dive Guide certification and Science of Diving course, you’ll get the Dive Master rating and be well on your way to an Assistant Instructor certification!
What prerequisites do I need?
To become a Dive Guide, you need to be at least 15 years old and 18 years old to become an “active” Dive Guide, and have:
- A Total Diving System that meets Gypsy Diver’s standards
- 40 logged dives for at least 25 hours
- Master Diver rating
- Navigation (or proof of at least 5 logged experience dives)
- Night & Limited Visibility (or proof of at least 5 logged experience dives)
- Deep Diving (or proof of at least 5 logged experience dives)
- Boat Diving (could be completed in parallel with the program)
- Enriched Air Nitrox (could be completed in parallel with the program)
- Equipment Techniques (could be completed in parallel with the program)
- Current RSTC Medical Statement Form, signed off by yourself and a medical practitioner, if needed, in the past 12 months
- First Aid
- Oxygen First Aid